Sunday, November 19, 2017

Teaching ELL's for the first time

It was the summer of 2016, I recently graduated with my B.S. in Early Childhood/ Childhood Education. I was on the computer applying for teaching positions and I attended many interviews and weeks are going by and I am not getting any responses. On Thursday, August 25,2016, I was in the middle of an interview for a Pre-K position out in Suffolk County when all of a sudden my phone rang. After that interview, I called the number back and it was Oceanside Union Free School District. The Assistant Superintendent asks me "Rebecca, do you think that you can come in today? I have some news that I think that you would like to hear." Right then and there my heart starts pounding! When I arrived at the district office, the superintendent explained to me that there was a Bilingual Kindergarten position open for the 2016-2017 school year. She asked me "Will you be interested in this position? We have interviewed many people however, we do not feel as though they are fit for this." Of course, I accepted the position however, I was as nervous as could be because the school would be starting in one week. I did my research about the curriculum and my journey as a teacher began.





Word Bank

recently- not long past
applying- to use for or assign to a specific purpose
responses- an answer or reply, as in words or in some action
interview- a formal meeting in which one or more persons question, consult, or evaluate another person
pounding- to produce or effect by striking or thumping, or in a manner resembling this (often followed by out)
arrived- to come to a certain point in the course of travel; reach ones destination
position- condition with reference to place; location; situation.
accepted- generally approved; usually regarded as normal, right, etc
nervous- highly excitable; unnaturally or acutely uneasy or apprehensive
curriculum- the regular or a particular course of study in a school, college, etc.
journey- passage or progress from one stage to another

Activity






1 comment:

  1. I really like your passage and i could see myself feeling the same way before accepting a job. You had a great vocabulary list and fun activity. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete