Sunday, November 26, 2017

Culture

As I was sitting with my extended family in Mendoza, Argentina overlooking the Andes Mountains, I was in awe of its beauty. I was nine at the time, and I realized how fortunate I was to share a family life and culture that was so different than my life in the United States. This made me realize how fortunate I was to share both my Argentine and American cultures.



            I felt the wind blowing in my face and the sun beaming down as I stepped off the plane onto the gravel road with my luggage in one hand and purse in the other. I ran to the other side of the gate to greet my family. We drove into the distance where my family owns their ‘finca’, farm. I could see the vast land with all the crops and the vineyard next to it. My family and I unpacked our things and we went out into the Andes Mountains for the day, to go water rafting, horseback riding and spend time with each other. We all gather around the table for dinner talking, laughing and having a good time. Sitting next to my nieces we played hand games, talked and played with the stray dogs.



            Unfortunately, life for everyone in Argentina is not so beautiful. For the past several years there have been economic difficulties. My family, friends and I have tried to help in different ways. When I was in Girl Scouts, we collected school supplies for my aunt’s students. I was personally able to hand deliver these gifts to the children. That was an unforgettable moment. Seeing the children sitting at their desks with their uniforms on, coloring with the crayons and notebooks we had brought for them was gratifying. Another year, my sister and I used our Christmas money to buy clothes for the children in my aunt’s class. Seeing the children’s faces brightened my day, and I smiled from ear to ear. I have been traveling to Argentina every year since I was five and we bring suitcases full of clothes and toys to help those less fortunate. Seeing how others live has made me realize how lucky I am to live here in the United States.
           


Vocabulary

extended-widespread or extensive; having an extension or spatial magnitude
awe- an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like
beaming- radiant; bright.
Andes Mountains- a chain of plateaus located on the western side of Argentina being the divider between Chile and Argentina. 
unfortunately- suffering from bad luck
economic- pertaining to the production, distribution, and use of income, wealth, and commodities
gratifying-tending to gratifygiving or causing satisfaction; pleasing


Activity

Compare and contrast the life here in the US and the life in Argentina based on the blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment